, , ,

Tips and Tricks: Double Eyelid without Surgery (for Monolid and Uneven Eyelid)

12/12/2014

Are you thinking of getting a double eyelid surgery for your monolid eyes 
or uneven eyelids?
Then hold on! Read this post before you splurge and wasting your money on it


Okay...
Double eyelid?
What the heck is that?

Alright, maybe some of you never heard of this term before especially if you're a Caucasian whom born naturally with it or maybe someone not into makeup or even a newbie in makeup world.
Now let me tell you a little bit about it.

Double eyelid is a condition when your eyes have a crease above them, like this 

(btw, this pic is the first to popped out when you type double eyelid at google image)

Caucasian tend to born with double eyelid, almost all of them, if I'd say.
Yet I never met Caucasian who do not have a double eyelid, so if there is Caucasian who do not have it, please let me know!

You need to know that Caucasian and Asian double eyelid is different.
Most Caucasian tend to have the crease high above their eyes like many of Hollywood Stars you normally see on TV and cinema, meanwhile most Asian double eyelid's crease is lower. Yes, mostly, because I know that there are some Caucasian with hooded eyelids which make the crease go lower and there are Asian with deep set eyes which make the crease higher (I'll elaborate further about this later). Hooded eyelids happened when there are excessive fat on the area between your eyes and eyebrow. Many Asian born with this, but some Caucasian actually does! The excessive fat level is vary for each people. However, Caucasian tends to have lower excessive fat level than Asian, while some Asian (especially Chinese descent in most cases) have too much excessive fat on that area that makes their eyes drown and unseen if they smile (talking about general idea of Asian eyes worldwide like this -> (—_—)  or like Mulan's eyes which is ridiculous and totally wrong!). A few numbers of popular Hollywood Stars with obvious hooded eyelids are Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lawrence, and Blake Lively. 

There are two types of crease, tapered and parallel like the picture below:

People with hooded eyes are more suitable with tapered crease rather than parallel crease because the excessive fat just doesn't make it possible for the crease to go higher. It will make the eyes look unnatural and super super weird. Imagine it like your sitting in a chair and your maybe-a-little-bit-fat stomach fold into two level.

Is it work for all Asian?
Of course NO.
Not all Asian have hooded eyelids because Asia is a BIG continent.
I realize that many people only think of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese when Asian topic came up, but please please please remember that Asia consists of numerous number of countries. India, Lebanon, Vietnam, Thailand, half Russia, Saudi Arabia, Philippines, Kazakhstan, U.A.E, etc. Even Iraq and Iran IS in Asia Continent ^.~
This makes us reminded that we are talking about numerous eye types which I couldn't explain one by one in this post. So I would only mention hooded eyes that belongs to most of the people in Central and Southeast Asia since there are many Chinese descent there.
People especially live in Middle East have different cases. They born with a mega beautiful deep set eyes that make me go nuts and jealous 
(but don't worry I love my eyes even more)
Fyi, the real Indonesian with Melayu descendant also have a beautiful deep set eyes and high crease like Caucasian and Middle East people ;)


Back to the topic *fiuhhh
I also born with same problem of many Asian women out there, slanted-mono-hooded eyelids. I never know before that I can get a surgery for bigger eyes, but even if I know, I wouldn't have the guts to do it. It's just scary. Eyes is the most delicate organ on our body surface and cutting the part surrounds it with a knife is horrifying enough to be imagined.
Hence, all I want at the first time knowing make up was just to make my eyes bigger for easier make up application and bigger eyes make your face a whole different .You know what I mean, right?


For you to understand how a double eyelid can make my face looks what-I-think is better.
My left double eyelid gone two days ago which make me think of this blog post.
My right eye (from my side) with double eyelid and my left eye with monolid. Sorry for all the redness. I've just went to a bad skin condition these few weeks because of the weather.


The only option available for me that time was the normal eye tape (people call it skot in Indonesia). I used it almost everyday when I go out and after for a while (probably 2-3 months), I realized that the double eyelid stayed on my eyes for about 1-2 days even when I don't use the eye tape.
I was fine and used it everyday and never think of getting it permanent until one day, the double side tape is invented (I'll back to this later).

Nowadays, there are many options for us to choose such as eyelid glue, eyelid fiber, and double side tape. You can use whichever you find suitable and easiest for you,
but the most effective to create a permanent double eyelid on your monolid and even out your uneven double eyelid is double side tape.
I found it years ago on a beauty shelf rack in a beauty store and grab it immediately into my basket. I tried it and fell in love with all of its goodness.

Eyelid glue was popular before that, but I don't like the finish result of eyelid glue.
It looks invisible for the first 2-3 hours and became a white cast after that.
My friend often told me that there are dirt on my lids wtf.
I didn't give up and bought the most popular koji eyelid glue.
I tried it and tossed it out a week after. I went back to my normal eye tape. Ha!

With double eye tape, it stays for hours without getting visible except you put it wrong.
It's also a lot stronger than other types and the best part has came:
You can get a permanent double eyelid with consistent use.
Many people recommend to use it 24/7 day and night as long as possible until you get your permanent double eyelid. It will take 3 months at minimum with 24/7 use.
I used it once during the night when I go to sleep, but I woke up with a messy eye lid instead (see that it might not work for me, but might work for you since it works for everybody else ;D).
Here is what I did: I used it almost everyday on my desirable double eyelid line (except on a day when I didn't go out at all during my college which means I have A LOT of days off) during the day and not when I sleep. I couldn't remember the exact time, but it took me probably around 1.5 years. Why so long?
Once again, I use it inconsistently. I didn't use it 24/7. In fact, I was once didn't use it for a whole week.

I don't need to put the double eye tape on my lids now. Indeed, there are times when it's gone. Are you in doubt now? Well, no need. 
My double eyelid will stay in shape everyday except when I cry or my eyes got irritated and teary that made me need to rub it with a tissue (I know that we shouldn't, but I couldn't help it when its teary. Anyways, DON'T rub your eyes). However, once I put on the double eye tape for a while (even for 5 minutes only), then VOILA! It's back.


Getting a permanent double eyelid is a long journey for me, but I didn't mind it because I was not in a rush. My tips and tricks for you are:

1. Get the best double eye tape for your eyes
We have different eye shapes, types and conditions. Find one that work best on your eye.
My best eye tape was not the photo above. I've run out of it and I forgot the name, but it's a Japanese brand.


2. Find your most natural eye lid line
Like I said, our eye shapes and types are different. Hence it makes our natural line on different position too! I tried different line position and it took me a while to realize which line suit me the most. So do experiment with it! If it hurts your eye and teary and not comfortable, took it off and start again. Practice makes perfect.


3. Clean your lids before applying it
If you have oily lids, clean your lids so the tape sticks better. If you have a normal eyes, please also clean it before because all the dirt on your lids can make the glue become less-strong than what it could be. Just use a toner, eye makeup remover, or water is also fine.


4. Be patient
Don't get too rush and just be patient. It takes time, of course, and the time range is different for everybody. Some people might get it fast and some not, but I'm almost 100% sure that everyone can get this without plastic surgery. SAVE your money!


"Hei Mel, a question. I have a double eyelid already, but it's uneven.
Can I use this method to make it even?"
YES definitely! Just try it and practice at home ;)


That's all from me and I'll update it if I get new information.
Last but not least, every eye shape is beautiful. I did this just because I like the me with double eyelid rather than monolid.
I like the me with monolid, but I like it even more with double eyelid.
In the end, the most important is what makes you feels better and confident, right?

Stay beautiful and Good Luck!


Me on my monolid with Nagisa, my Japanese friend during internship years ago



Until next post
BAI 

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. How old should you be before considering Blepharoplasty ?
    I have saggy upper lids. Also, it it painful? and what are the cons of it? Like what could go wrong?
    thanks
    aishani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think plastic surgery regulation would depends on each countries, I believe in some Asian countries they can already do it in such a young age like 17 or 18. I bet they would hurt a lot! I've seen a couple of plastic surgery experience in youtube and honestly, it looks really painful

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this lovely and informative post! The photos are really helpful (I'll try it with tape I think). Btw, you mentioned a Japanese internship at the end. What was it for? So curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant my Japanese friend had internship in Indonesia

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa, thank you for your post! I just have 2 questions! I can see that you have a tapered eyelid on your right eye and a monolid on the left eye (originally). After using the double eyelid tape on your left eye, you mentioned that it eventually formed a crease even without any sticker on. But is this crease a tapered eyelid? Also, do you think it's possible to obtain permanent tapered eyelids after using eyelid stickers for a long time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply dear, and yes I meant tapered eyelid. I think it would be depends on each person eyes where the double eyelid naturally form (either tapered or parallel), mine is tapered eyelid.

      For your second question, yes yes yes definitely (at least in my opinion) I also used it for about 1.5 years and now my double tapered eyelid is permanent. It might gone if I cry and rub my eyes too much (when I'm like really really sad and depressed), but they will formed back eventually (especially after cleansing my face). I normally wait about couple of hours and if it doesn't come back, I tape on the sticker back for 1 or 2 hours. After that, not a problem anymore :)

      Delete
  5. I'm Caucasian and I have tapered lids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Melisa, thank you so much for answering my questions! It was really helpful!! Just one more question!
    I was born with unequally shaped eyes (1 parallel double eyelid + 1 monolid), so I'm thinking of correcting them with double eyelid tape/glue now. But, I am really in a dilemma on which type of double eyelids I should apply now.
    The thing is, i was born with the same type of eyes as my mother (same shape and size). She has tapered eyelids. Somehow, when I was born, my eyelids formed a parallel double eyelid and a monolid on the other. I've tried to apply tapered eyelids on both of my eyes and to be honest, they do look a lot better than if I were to make them parallel.
    The reason why I am unable to make a decision is because from what I understood from your explanation, it seemed like the double eyelids will only permanently stay as "tapered" if they were naturally formed as "tapered". Likewise if it's for parallel double eyelids.
    So, my problem is that even though I look better with tapered eyelids, I naturally form a parallel double eyelid on my other eye. The thing that worries me is.. if I start putting on tapered eyelids everyday without caring about the fact that I naturally had parallel double eyelids, will my permanent eyelids eventually turn to tapered eyelids? What do you think, Melissa? Realistically, do you think that I will eventually be able to form tapered double eyelids so long as I am dilligent in putting the tapes/glue everyday? Thank you so much for helping me!! I've been searching for so long, but could not find someone who has a similar situation to mine! T^T

    ReplyDelete

About me